Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Back of Left Hand to Back of Right Hand...

So I took a lesson today from my local PGA professional, and boy was it worth it...

I have been pushing slicing or fading most of my shots recently and I really wanted more accuracy with my irons...

He watched me hit three balls, and knew exactly what would help me right of the bat... after some practice with it I can honestly say I am hitting it straighter just after a few buckets of focusing on the idea... I can't wait to see what the future will hold with this simple idea.

Ok so basically he was saying I was leaving my club face open too long, which I knew, but he made me focus on the contact of the ball making sure I was rotating and using my hands properly. Making it possible for someone standing in front of me to see the back of my left hand then straight on and then the back of my right hand. Now it was tremendously uncomfortable at first, and timing it with my arm speed was even more hectic. If my arms were fast and my hands couldn't catch up I would fade a bit, and if my rotation too fast for my arms I would pull or draw, it was amazing. Basically he said that the three things that control distance and control, are your hands, arms and legs. Hands.. the rotation we talked about, the arms which he only briefly mentioned because he said I seemed ok with that, and the legs being the shift of weight from back to front.

We also went over some chipping and bunkers but they were pretty simple things like for chipping less hands and more arms, and the bunkers were to follow through more hitting behind the ball. All really exciting and fun things to think about and work on.

I'm excited to see how the next week or so of practicing this muscle memory will play out for the rounds I intend to play in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment