Sunday, July 12, 2009

How my short game became my long game...

Ok so today I shot a 101... that hurt... after playing so well for a few weeks, I managed to have the best driving game I've ever played with the worst short game I've played since early june... 11 extra chips and putts from yesterday with 6 three-putts, ouch...

I hit 6 fairways, and I felt like I was truly improving my drive swing from my last posts remarks. It was an easy and comfortable fix that has added yards (hit several 300 yard balls) and consistent accuracy (obviously not perfect but that would inevitably have to do with my lack of consistency in other minor details). I didn't practice my short game as well as I would have liked today, but I was banking on repeating how well I played yesterday on my short game. I did get pretty shaken up after playing poorly and had trouble rebounding mentally which will be important to overcome in the future for long term success. I think the most important thing I got out of today however, was the acquaintances made with Kip Hunter his Father (a District Attorney of Boulder for 28 years) and their friend Phil. Kip and I seemed to hit it off as he went to school at UVA and I happened to be wearing my UVA hockey shirt. I am really looking forward to playing golf with him again in the future.

Two major things that were brought up in our 19th hole discussion that I have considered in the past but never pursued, were firstly, the importance of fitting my clubs (and potentially getting a nicer set), and secondly the value of proper training via lessons from a PGA Professional Teacher. Kip's father Alex could not say enough good things about what our local pro, Dan. I think the lessons cost about $40 and I'm looking forward to possibly investigating this idea further.

The outdoor movie last night didn't pan out due to weather, but tomorrow Alexa's sister comes into town so I better go clean/watch Law & Order and fall asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment